Wrap a long, lightweight, solid-color scarf around your waist and knot it loosely just in front of one hip bone. The dangling ends will make you look longer and leaner. More Tips >
You’re taking off layers of clothing and swapping turtlenecks for tees. Next step: a chic, new warm-weather hairstyle. Here are three ideas:
1. The Pixie
You might not remember which movie won the Academy Award for best picture this year (it was Argo), but you certainly remember Charlize Theron’s chic pixie ’do. You’ve seen similar styles on Anne Hathaway, Halle Berry and Miley Cyrus. This look takes confidence to pull off, along with flawless eyebrows and a dab of texturizing cream to keep the layers looking tousled, soft and feminine.
2. The Bob
“It’s classic, versatile and looks great on everyone,” says celebrity stylist Julia Papworth about this timeless cut. Dipping below chin length in the front and hugging the nape of the neck in the back, the bob looks as good with natural texture as it does blown smooth. Jennifer Lawrence has been rocking a slightly shaggy, shoulder-length version of the bob -- or “lob” for long bob. The advantage of the summer lob: it can be thrown up in in a pony for beach days.
3. Flapper Dos
With The Great Gatsby roaring into the Cineplex, ’20s-inspired ’dos are modern again. To achieve Gatsby star Carey Mulligan’s retro look, part damp hair on one side. Then create finger waves by winding small sections of hair around your middle and index finger. Secure each curl with a clip. Set with hair spray and let dry. If your hair is long, tuck the back section into a bun.
Streaming fitness classes are the answer to every roadblock to getting your workouts in and getting in killer shape for bikini season. Your gym is too crowded. The weather is bad. The traffic is terrible. Your favorite yoga class is too early or too late.
All these problems are solved with fitness streaming sites. (And that means no more excuses!) Now you can take any kind of class imaginable -- dance, sculpting, yoga, pilates, kickboxing and more -- whenever and wherever you want. If you have a laptop, tablet or desktop, a TV, or even a smartphone, you have an infinity of workout options.
Here are three streaming fitness sties worth checking out:
Spirofit.com offers both live and on-demand high-definition fitness classes from nine different trainers. You’ll find classes like Buns of Steel, Booty Barre, BOSU University (taught by the guy who invented the half-dome balancing device), yoga, martial arts and ballet. With routines of every length, including one-to-three minute “on the go” workouts, you can fit some calorie burning or restorative strengthening into the most-crammed schedule. Even better, the site gives you a free two-day trial.
FitnessGlo.com streams classes from five to 45 minutes. Choose the style, level and duration of workout you want, and even the body part you’d like to tone. Or try “Click & Glo” sessions, which offer 30- or 45-minute combinations of cardio, strength and stretching. You can also customize an eight-week program to add some structure to your workout regimen, whether your fitness level is beginner, advanced or intermediate. The site offers a free 15-day trial.
GaiamTV.com lets you stream their exhaustive library of DVDs. You’ll find nearly 30 different workouts from “Biggest Loser” trainer Jillian Michaels alone. There are hundreds of yoga options, for both beginners and advanced practitioners, from renowned instructors like Rodney Yee, Shiva Rea, Seane Corn and Mandy Ingber, who earns an endorsement from client Jennifer Aniston. “Mandy’s yoga style has changed my life,” Aniston says. “This is one of the most fun, challenging workouts I’ve ever had.” GaiamTV.com offers a free 10-day trial.
With a few smart makeup techniques, you can turn back the clock. Tonya Crooks, a celebrity makeup artist and eyebrow expert, who has made the likes of Eva Mendes, Gwyneth Paltrow, Fergie and Megan Fox even more beautiful than they naturally are, shares her top five antiaging makeup tips.
1. Start with well-hydrated skin.
Makeup will go on smoother and last longer if your skin is supple and moisturized. I recommend to all my clients that they use a daily moisturizer and one at night as well. For a quick fix, applying a makeup primer under your foundation will add instant luster to your skin.
2. Don’t over-tweeze.
Look at a girl of 14 or 15 who hasn’t started tweezing her eyebrows and you’ll see brows that are healthy and full with no exaggerated arches or bald spots. The takeaway: Less is more when it comes to achieving youthful-looking brows. Pluck stray hairs below your brow line, but don’t thin out the brows themselves. If you’re thinking about reshaping your brows, see a pro.
3. Choose creamy cheek colors.
Skip the powders and opt instead for blush and bronzer in a cream, liquid or mousse formula. Powders tend to sit on top of the skin, making your complexion look parched, while creamy textures give you a lit-from-within glow.
4. Keep eye makeup light and clean.
Dark and heavy shadows can make your eyes look sunken while lighter shades help them “pop.” You can still do a dramatic look; just focus the liner and deeper shades on the outer corners of your eyes.
5. Opt for glossy lipstick over matte.As we get older, our lips tend to shrink a bit. A dark matte lip color and liner will make them look even smaller. Instead, create the illusion of a plumper pout with a gloss in a light hue. And with paler colors you can go outside the borders of your lip a little. I call it cheating the edge.
Getting a glossy, mega-watt mane doesn’t need to take a village to accomplish. Here are a few easy tricks to give your hair mirror-like shine, just in time for summer.
1. One of the best secrets to getting shiny hair is using a boar- bristle brush. The gentle bristles distribute your scalp’s natural oils over the hair shaft, making your hair lustrous and smooth.
2. When you blow-dry your hair, point the nozzle down the hair shaft to help smooth the hair cuticle so that it lays flat and reflects more light. When you point the nozzle up or into the hair shaft, you get more frizz and a dull finish.
3. Rinse with cold water. Blast your mane with a cold-water rinse at the end of a shower to close and seal the cuticle of the hair, allowing for maximum glossiness and smoothness -- plus less frizz.
4. Deeper hair colors are best at reflecting light, so tint your hair one or two shades darker than your natural hair color to amp up your hue’s luster factor.
5. Straighten your hair. Curly hair bends and curves, making it more difficult for light to bounce off of each strand evenly -- . Tthe sleeker and straighter the hair, the greater the glint.
6. After following steps one through five, top off your already shiny hair with a smoothing cream or serum, which blocks hair from humidity and frizz, and will help maintain your beautiful, smooth, shiny style.