Post-workout Makeup Tips
If you made a new year’s resolution to step up your fitness, don’t let worries about having to reapply your makeup keep you from squeezing in a midday workout. With these tips from New York City makeup artist Raychel Wade, you can touch up in a flash and still have time to pick up a veggie wrap on your way back to the office.
1. Plan ahead. If you’ll be working out at lunch, start the morning with cosmetics that will make it through your exercise session intact. Skip foundation if you can and use a waterproof concealer instead to even out your skin tone. A cream blush is a better choice than a powder one, says Wade, because it’s less likely to congeal when you break a sweat. For your eyes, choose water-resistant mascara, an eye shadow primer and waterproof eyeliner.
2. After working out, give your skin a chance to calm down before you begin your touchup. “It takes your skin a few minutes to stop sweating,” says Wade, “so change back into your work clothes first.”
3. Clean up any errant flecks of eye makeup with a swab that has makeup remover built right in.
4. Correct any skin blotchiness with your waterproof concealer. For the easiest application, choose a wand formula.
5. Pick color products that are mistake-proof, such as a mousse blush and a tinted lip balm. You want to use sheer, minimal products that have the right consistency and won’t cake up if your skin is still a little damp. Opt for formulas that can be applied with fingers and that don’t require a lot of precision. “In a crowded locker room when you’re in a hurry to get back to work, you want to skip the matte lipstick, liquid eyeliner and anything else that requires flawless application,” says Wade. “Instead, think ‘Swipe and run.’”