Eat Your Way to Beauty
To maintain a beautiful, glowing complexion and a trim figure for life, the food you put in your body is just as important as what you put on your body. Many of the delicious traditional Russian dishes may also keep you young and slim -- it’s just a matter of learning which ones.
Experts agree that breakfast is important for both weight loss and energy.
· Kasha, yogurt and fruit: This is ideal for jump-starting your metabolism. Kasha is a whole grain rich in vitamin B, phytochemicals and fiber, and it doesn’t raise your insulin or sugar levels the same way processed cereals or breads do. Add low-fat, calcium-rich yogurt, proven to aid in weight loss. For extra sweetness, toss in a few fresh or frozen berries, which are also full of antioxidants.
· Tea and coffee: These breakfast drinks will get your metabolism moving, helping you shed pounds. In moderation, coffee can also aid your powers of concentration. Tea is really a beauty brew. Green tea, in particular, has similar benefits to your metabolism as coffee, but it will also help you get beautiful skin. Green tea contains catechins, potent antioxidants that can help protect skin against UV damage from sun exposure and help slow the aging process.
· Salmon: All types of salmon are excellent sources of omega-3 fatty acids, unsaturated fatty acids with a variety of health benefits. (However, beware of smoked salmon, which is high in salt.) Omega-3 oils are essential for brain and heart health but are also necessary to keep skin looking youthful, firm and moist, and to keep hair and nails shiny. Eating foods high in omega-3 oils can even help prevent serious sun damage, such as precancerous lesions, as seen in a recent Australian study. Don’t like salmon? Herring, trout, cod, walnuts, almonds and flaxseed are all excellent sources of omega-3 too.
· Citrus and tomatoes: Oranges, grapefruit, lemon and tomatoes are all high in vitamin C. This vitamin not only boosts your immune system, it’s also needed to help the body make collagen naturally, which helps keep your face firm. Vitamin C-rich tomatoes are also loaded with lycopene, a substance that helps protect your skin from sun damage -- that’s why some scientists call them “nature’s sunscreen.”
· Caviar: Cosmetic companies knew what they were doing when they put caviar in luxurious anti-aging products; it is fabulous for your skin. But the best way to use caviar as a beauty treatment is to eat it. All types of caviar are loaded with omega-3 oils and other antioxidants, which can help revitalize, moisturize and soothe skin.If you aren’t consuming these foods and drinks already, there is no time like the present to start. Use them with your regular product regimen, and you’ll be on your way to flawless skin and perfect health.